Make our Move

Want to do something good for the environment? Not sure where to start? Climate change is a huge issue, so it's easy to get overwhelmed, or confused about what we can actually do to help. 

You're not alone. In fact 2 in 3 of us are concerned with the impact of climate change, yet only 1 in 5 know what action we can take to reduce our impact. Over a third of us would like clearer guidance on what would make a difference and where to start. So we've done the hard work for you.

We’ve pulled together 12 clear actions you can take that'll have a positive impact. Luckily, decisions that are good for the environment are usually good for us too. They can save us money, keep us healthy, and be a great way to connect with others. Whether you just want to try some simple sustainable swaps, or are looking to extend your actions to your workplace and community, we've got ideas to help. 

Let's make our move, together. 

The circular economy is a model to remove waste, and get the most value out of the resources we already have through good design. It’s a continuous circle in which resources are kept in use and used again and again and again, without losing value.

So what have we got at the moment?

A linear economy! That means we take, make, use and throw away products and resources, often using up valuable limited raw materials.

Why is a circular economy important?

The linear economy isn’t sustainable and contributes to climate change and biodiversity loss. Our current era of human civilisation has been termed the ‘waste age’ (like the iron or stone age), which can only last so long with a planet with limited resources. Not so civilised!

Isn’t a circular economy just recycling?

No! Recycling is important and a part of the circular economy, but it’s about much more than recycling. When materials are recycled they usually lose quality every time, meaning eventually they still have an end of life. A circular model tries to design out the need for that waste altogether – that could be more sharing or renting schemes or using materials that can be upgraded into new things.

Is it good for the environment?

Absolutely. The Ellen McArthur Foundation estimate that only 55% of emissions can be reduced by switching to renewables, whereas the circular economy can help tackle the remaining 45%, much of which relates to how we make and use materials, products and food.

What other benefits are there?

As well as getting rid of waste, the circular economy can help bring new business opportunities too, by creating new green jobs and sustainable services. It means there’s enough resources for everyone.

What’s an example of the circular economy in practice?

Good question. It can be lots of things – from sharing and renting schemes, to repair, reuse and refill, as well as reprocessing materials behind the scenes.

For fashion it could mean buying second hand, getting clothing repaired or passing onto a friend, like Hubbub’s Gift A Bundle campaign to regift outgrown baby clothing.

For our food, it includes designing out food waste, producing and transporting food using clean energy or schemes to redistribute food waste like Hubbub’s Food Connect or Community Fridge networks.

In our neighbourhoods, it could mean refilling food and beauty products in store or sharing transport methods, like the Tower Hamlets community cycle centre where people can loan and repair bikes.

At home, it could include reducing food waste, repairing our goods or redistributing unwanted electronics, like Hubbub’s Community Calling campaign.

How do we get one quickly?

There’s loads of innovative ideas and businesses already doing lots to move us to their circular economy. See below on what you can do as an individual..

What can I do?

The good news is you can get involved. By reducing the waste you produce you’re contributing to the circular economy.

You can also look out for products, businesses or services that follow a circular economy model. This could be renting clothes instead of buying, repairing your home tech, take back schemes for furniture or products made of materials that can be reused again, and again, and again.

Want to cut more jargon?

What does Net Zero mean, what actually is a carbon footprint? Check out our series of 'Cut the Jargon & The Carbon' definitions. 

 OTHER CLIMATE DEFINITIONS

Keen to try a new climate action? 

Check out our list of the 12 most impactful actions you can take for the environment and your community. Let’s #MakeOurMove together.

TAKE ACTION